Saturday, August 9, 2014

He Had No Rights. And I?

I didn't ask for it, I didn't pray for it, but God decided that He wanted to teach me about being grateful. Not for the things that I have, but for the things that others have.  Particularly the things others have that I want.  Romans 12:15 encourages us to "rejoice with those who rejoice," and I haven't been doing that so well.  So God keeps giving me plenty of opportunities to put it into practice, not only by teaching me to be grateful for the things He's blessed others with (to be happy for them and not think "I wish I had that!"), but to even be grateful for the things that He's blessed others with that I've specifically prayed for.  For any one of us, that could mean anything from a duvet cover or a bouquet of flowers to a child or a spouse.  The root of the problem is the same, and that's the idea that we deserve certain things in life - we are entitled to them.  Someone else has it, so why shouldn't I?  Why not me?

I was reminded the other day that God alone gives us life, breath and all things (Acts 17:25). He is responsible for us, and He's good at it. So when jealousy strikes, I'm essentially telling God, "You haven't done enough for me." Ouch. Gratefulness, on the other hand, says, "You have done ALL for me. Thank you!" 

I was introduced several years back to the following excerpt from an amazing little book by Mabel Williamson called Have We No Rights? (no copyright so you can download it free online...try this link Have We No Rights?).  In the last chapter she writes:

   He had no rights:
   No right to a soft bed, and a well-laid table;
   No right to a home of His own, a place where His own pleasure might be sought;
   No right to choose pleasant, congenial companions, those who could understand Him and sympathize with Him; 
   No right to shrink away from filth and sin, to pull His garments closer around Him and turn aside to walk in cleaner paths;
   No right to be understood and appreciated; no not by those upon whom He had poured out a double portion of His love;
   No right even never to be forsaken by His Father, the one who meant more than all to Him.
   His only right was silently to endure shame, spitting, blows; to take His place as a sinner at the docks; to bear my sins in anguish on the cross.
   He had no rights. And I?

   A right to the "comforts" of life?  No, but a right to the love of God for my pillow.
   A right to physical safety? No, but a right to the security of being in His will.
   A right to love and sympathy from those around me? No, but a right to the friendship of the One who understands me better than I do myself.
   A right to be a leader among men? No, but the right to be led by the One to whom I have given my all, led as is a little child, with its hand in the hand of its father.
   A right to a home, and dear ones? No, not necessarily; but a right to dwell in the heart of God.
   A right to myself? No, but, oh, I have a right to Christ.

All that He takes I will give;
All that He gives I will take;
He, my only right!
He, the one right before which all other rights fade into nothingness.
I have full right to Him;
Oh, may He have full right to me!

"Those who seek the LORD shall not lack any good thing." Psalm 34:10  


No comments:

Post a Comment