Thursday, September 11, 2014

Riding in the Dark

I was riding my bike home tonight in the dark, and the thought crossed my mind that how I ride should be a reflection of how I "maneuver" through difficult circumstances in my life. It was dark and I couldn't see street signs, yet I'd been down those roads so many times before that I knew exactly where to go. I knew that house, that car, that patch of grass, and hundreds of other details that allowed me to ride home and arrive safely at my own doorstep without even having to think much about it.  

Do I know the Word that well? Do I know God so intimately that when difficult times come I know exactly what to do? When I first moved to this town I didn't know one street from another. But as I drove the streets, making mistakes and backtracking until I found something familiar, I eventually became comfortable with my surroundings and could even give directions to others who were lost. I lose track of my surroundings sometimes as I walk with the Lord (more often than I'd like to admit), but His Word remains a "lamp to my feet and a light to my path." (Psalm 119:105)

"Unless Your law had been my delight, I would then have perished in my affliction. I will never forget your precepts, for by them You have given me life.Psalm 119:92,93


No comments:

Post a Comment